Friday, May 4, 2012

I miss KHON2!

What an amazing experience it's been at KHON2! I honestly loved every second of my internship experience. Even though I had to wake up at 4 a.m. in order to get ready and get to the station at 6 a.m. I think the first-hand experience was  extremely worthwhile.

I learned more at KHON2 than in any class at HPU because I was put in a real news station, learning from people with years of experience in news. 



At the station I stayed at the assignment desk to listen to police scanners for any breaking news event. I also posted stories and videos to the website, answered phones, logged tapes, looked up videos for b-roll in the archives, filed press releases and input them into the assignment system. 

Along with these tasks I got to shadow reporters on various assignments. Some of these include:  

  • Going to a press conference where the military was introducing their new fuel cell cars
  • Going to the opening press conference of a new Waikiki restaurant by Chef Morimoto
  • Covering the grand opening of Walmart Kapolei with Olena Heu
  • Going to the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event to prevent domestic violence at the University of Hawaii
  • Going to a Coast Guard press conference about the family who was rescued off the coast of the Big Island


  • Covering the heavy flooding in Aina Haina, specifically Wailupe Place, with Olena Heu
  • Going to hear Hawaii Meth Project’s presentation at Pearl City High School where I got to interview former meth addict Andre Pulido
  • Interviewing Joel Osteen about his “Night of Hope” at the Blaisdell Arena 
  • Interview Nainoa Thompson about the death of one of the original Hokulaule’a members 
  • Covering a traffic accident near Portlock in Kaneohe
  • Going to University of Hawaii at Manoa’s first football practice to interview players
  • Interviewing Mufi Hannemann
These were just the highlights, I've learned so much and enjoyed the time I was there. Unfortunately my last night at KHON2 was last night. I'm really gonna miss the reporters, anchors, assignment desk editors, producers, and everyone I've met there. I'm hoping it's not the last time I'll see them. The pictures show just a few of the happiest people you'll ever meet in the morning. Up top it's Jai Cunningham, Olena Heu, me, Trini Kaopuiki and Taizo Braden. They're super sweet and have helped me out so much this past semester. Olena and Jerod (he's the assistant morning show producer) were the two people I looked to the most when I needed help. They became my favorite people at KHON2.

Though I'll miss the interning there, I know everything I've learned will help me in future experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment